Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A visit to the big city and an old friend!

I am just now getting around to doing a blog post on my visit to NYC a few weeks ago. I went to visit my friend Courtney...and believe me it has been a long time coming. Court and I hadnt seen each other in four years. We were in the Design program together in college and lived together our senior year. After we graduated, she moved back home in WV and then to NY a few years later. As everyone knows "life happened" and we both just had so many things going on with careers and family that it was hard to plan a trip to see each other. Court has been to Nashville to see me a few times so I thought it was time I make the trek to see her and what better place to visit than NYC! We had such a great time! Court gave me the grand tour and since I have been there before we didnt concentrate on the touristy things. We walked the streets in each village and did things that the locals might do and of course...shopped, shopped, shopped! I had so much fun being able to shop and look uninterrupted by my hubby and child..uhhhh hmmm...oops, did I say that? But really it was great. Courtney couldnt understand why I wasnt buying more, but I guess my priorities have changed a lot since college. :) It was fun looking but I didnt buy unless it was something I couldnt live without. I mostly bought stuff for Connor...imagine that?! We had a great time and I really enjoyed seeing what it is like living in the city. Court made it very clear that when you live there you live and die by the train schedule....Believe me when I say she had me running to catch the train on more than one occasion! LOL We also walked so much and I guess I didnt think much about my shoes because my feet definitely werent used to that abuse outside of my Brooks! Courtney were very gracious to show me around and we even went to dinner with some of their other friends so I got to meet them as well. All in all, I had a great time! I felt bad though because my last day, I was a little distracted by everything going on at home. Connor came down with a fever and call it motherly intuition but I just really knew it was the swine flu. Sure enough, after my flight touched down we went to the doctor and it came back positive. We survived just fine though. All I have to say about that is dont believe everything you see on TV. Also, my father in law went into the hospital on that day which also added a little bit of stress. Talk about feeling helpless. I was in NY and all of this was going on at home. As a wife/mother I always feel obligated to help and fix things in some way, even when there is obviously nothing I can do. I caught an earlier flight home and a couple of days later, all was back to normal. My father in law is at home doing well and Connor is rid of the flu. I am so relieved now not to have to worry about this anymore and now hopefully his immune system is stronger and we wont get it next year.

I have included some pics if you dont feel like watching the slideshow with all of the pictures.

Taking a stroll near Radio City Music Hall.

Court and I at "the village" or at least that is what we called it. Ice skating rink in background.
Court and I at "High Line". This is a brand new park that was created on top of an old elevated train track. Very cool!


This was as close as we got to Times Square. We kind of avoided it.

At Yankee Stadium. Mickey (Court's hubby) took me there so that I could see it since it isnt in the best part of town. It was beautiful!

0 comments: