Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Thursday, June 4, 2009

A fun week with my little man!

This week our beloved Ms. Betty is in Nicaragua on a mission trip, so with no childcare I had to stay at home...what a shame. LOL I have had so much fun spending time with Connor. It has been extra nice just to do things at a leisurely pace since things have been so hectic and crazy the past few months. Our house is finally in order after the hardwoods and kitchen were redone. A few minor things need to be done to be completely finished but the major things are complete. We have been playing outside in the kiddie pool and Connor is loving it this year. He is taking to the water much better than last summer. He seems to get a little more daring each and every year. Here are some pictures of him from Tuesday.






Today we did something that was not so much fun. We finally went to see an allergist since Connor has been battling a sinus infection for quite some time. The antibiotics finally cured him but the doctor and I thought it was about time we got some answers on his allergies once and for all. We got some good news and some bad news. Really it was a lot of bad news. The good news is that we now know what Connor is allergic to. The bad news is that he is allergic to EVERYTHING and there really isnt any thing we can really do to treat it until he is 3 or maybe 4 depending on what route we take. Seriously, there were only 3 things that he had a negative reaction to. His back had the biggest red whelps all over it and it was almost as unbearable for me watching him go through the skin test as it was for him going through it. He pretty much screamed for 20 minutes straight as they pricked and prodded him and then had to sit there for 15 minutes to see what kind of reaction he had. I had to restrain him so he couldnt itch or touch his back. Here are all of the things he is allergic to (half of them are things I cant pronounce)
Milk, Egg White (severe), Egg Yolk (severe), Corn, Soy Bean, Peanut (severe), Histamine, Cats, Dogs, DM Mix ??, Horse, Elm, Willow, Birch, Tag Elder, Oak, Pecan, Hickory, Walnut, Pine, Sycamore, Ash, Maple, Box Elder, Bermuda, Johnson, Perennial Rye, Timothy, Ragwood Mix, Mugwt Sage, Lambs Qtr, Kochia, Russn Thistle, Sorrel, and Chaetomiun
I really liked the doctor, he was one of those who doesn't sugar coat anything and gives it to you straight up. When he walked into the room after the test was over he looked me in the eyes and said, "He is going to have a pretty rough go of it." This wasn't good news to hear but I am trying to look at the bright side of things. At least it isn't a fatal disease or something that requires surgery, etc. He told me that there aren't alot of options for Connor since he is so young and allergic to so many things. He put him on a nasal spray to use every day of the year, along with Zyrtec which we have been using. He said he couldn't get the preferred allergy shots until he is 4 or 5. Since his allergies are so severe it would be more like 4. He said that we could do the allergy drops under the tongue starting at 3, but almost never administers those until children are at least 4. He said that in Connors case he would definitely start at age 3. He doesnt prefer the allergy drops over the shots but in Connors case would start something like the drops so we can start treatment a year earlier. The other bad news is that they aren't covered by insurance and can be very costly. At least $100 a month if not more. He told me to stop giving Connor milk and start giving a calcium fortified orange juice. This is going to be bad especially since Connor would prefer chocolate milk over anything else. Corn is also one of his favorite foods and one of the only vegetables he will eat. Please pray for us as we try and decide how to treat this and what we will feed him from day to day. I felt like things got so much better when he turned 2 and now we are starting all over again. I guess I will have to bring out the diaper bag again and pack it with foods and drinks anytime we go anywhere. Our hope is that Connor will outgrow this and eventually be able to live outside of his little bubble. Tomorrow we have to go and have blood work done so that they can see the severity of each allergy. We both thought that Connor had been through enough today, however I am dreading tomorrow like the plague. As soon as we see a doctor he starts crying and that was before today. I cant imagine what tomorrow is going to be like. Please say a prayer for our little boy!

6 comments:

Alicia said...

Don't worry I know as a mom it's scary to learn all of this but my cousin's little boy is deathly allergic to peanuts so don't be alarmed when they give you an epipen(spelling) to carry around if he has a reaction, most products and resturants list everything that the food contains now which is a huge help.I do know that Raffertys does cook everything in peanut oil, just an FYY. My daughter had the test done and it was horable to watch it being done but she was only allergic to grass, pollen, ragweed,etc. but we are also headed toward shots too in the near future. Conner's adorable and growing like a weed.

Nonna said...

My poor sweet Connor! I feel so bad for him. My heart aches for what he went through and about tomorrows blood test.
My prayers are always for all three of you but special prayers will go up for Connor.
My time with him this past weekend was priceless. I love you all.

GrannieT said...

He's so precious but he has the very best parents he could possibly have. So all you can try to do is help with his fear and of course you are doing that. Remember that you are all in our hearts. Love you all, Grannie

Kristy said...

Thank you for your kind words on the blog! It could be worse so right now we are dealing with what we were giving and staying positive. I'll be pray ing for sweet Connor, well I guess we'll have to get moving on a new birthday cake recipe for you to make on his birthday :) Allergies as an adult are no fun, but kids are so resilient (sp?)and it's so amazing how they deal with things.

Have a great vacation and Anniversary! We'll pray for a safe trip and for Connor to be able to enjoy it all!

Kristy

Jeremy and Lacy said...

Oh my goodness...I am so sorry!!! My heart hurts so bad for him. I will be praying for you as you decide what is best for him!

Betty said...

I missed my sweet Connor last week. I am happy to hear he was loved on like crazy while I was away...sad to hear he is allergic to almost everything under the sun. Our God has a way of showing us to always...Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12 and Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12

Praying!!!

Love,
Ms. Betty