Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

We're back!

A few things that I learned while on my Disney vacation...

1. Dont always assume that it is going to be a miserable 10 hour trip just because you have a 2 1/2 year old. Connor was great and the car ride went by surprisingly fast since we broke it up between night/day.

2. Dont always believe the Birnbaum Guide to Disney...getting to the parks early during the busy season to beat the crowds didnt seem to help with the lines. It was CRAZY busy. Anyone who thinks we are in a recession should visit WDW!

3. Disregard the fact that you are walking 500 miles a day and losing all of your water weight by sweating constantly...you will gain at least 5 pounds just from eating all of the fattening park food. And to make matters worse for the price you would pay for a burger or chicken nuggets you could have had that steak at Outback!

4. When driving up to the fast food window to order, your husband might order in the very best Tennessee, redneck, country accent he can muster. It is only funny the first time...

5. You must let your two year old press the buttons in the "alligator" (elevator) every time you enter.

6. When the weather channel says that it is going to be 98 degrees, go ahead and add on 5 degrees to that. It was so stinking HOT the whole time, but we didnt let it slow us down. Oh and dont even think about wearing that super cute outfit and spending the extra 30 in the morning on makeup and hair. (...and no I didnt do this. I learned my lesson last year but I saw a few people that had to have been miserable.) As you will see in the pictures we were mostly in hats, visors and sporting a few sweat rings on our shirts. Now those will make for some great frame worthy pics dont ya think?!

7. Tip for the Non Cash Carrying family...just because you are out of the parks and on your way home doesnt mean that FL is finished asking you for $$. The toll roads are there and WILL take checks. Who knew!? (and yes this happened to us...a $2.50 check for a toll. Only had $1.50 in quarters. I know, I know it is ridiculous but we use our debit card for EVERYTHING!)

8. Seeing Disney through a childs eyes is worth every penny. It is like that commercial. Tickets, hotel room, food, souvenirs...cha ching$...walking miles through the crowds in a theme park in the sweltering heat...waiting 30 minutes just to ride "Its a Small World"...seeing your 2 year old have the time of his life...PRICELESS!

9. Just because you come home doesnt mean you are done with the Mick. I am now on my second episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse since Connor woke up from his nap just a little while ago as we speak.

We truly had a great time this year at Disney. It was amazing the world of difference a year for Connor. He loved the characters! He got so excited when we would see one and even gave them a kiss a hug each and every time. We had two character meals this time and it was so much fun! Connor got to see each and every one of his favorite characters and got a pic with them all. On the first day we went to Magic Kingdom and went through Mickey's house. Connor made note of how messy his kitchen was. It was set up to look that way on purpose with paint on the floor, dirty dishes in the sink and everything in disarray. Well a few days later we had dinner and Mickey was there and he told him that he needed to get a broom to clean up his messy house! Hilarious! Thats my boy...I knew I had to rub off on him at some point. We did all of the parks with Magic Kingdom being our very favorite. We spent almost all of our time in Fantasyland which is where all of the rides for Connor are. Brad and I did a few rides on our own separately since Connor couldnt and it was pretty cool how they have the "baby swap" as an option. Without it, it wouldnt have been possible with Connor. I have included some pictures to see in case you dont want to watch the long video montage. Believe it or not this is not even all of my pictures. I took so, so many!


















Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: WDW Vacation

Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

6 comments:

GrannieT said...

It's amazing! he loved so many of the things that scared him last year! We walked in Lion King and just kept on walking because he was crying! And the birds! He hated those last year. Our little guy has done some growing up!

Mr. and Mrs. Reckard said...

ABSOLUTELY PRECIOUS! I hate that we missed it this year. He is changing soooo much. I am glad you all had a good time. I hope to see you all soon!
Love,
AnAm

Kandi said...

Looks like a wonderful family vacation. Loved your list!! The elevator button pushing doesn't change at 3yrs and when you have 2 kids, they fight over who gets to push the buttons. That was hilarious about Brad ordering food.

Betty said...

Makes me want to pack up and GO!!!
Loved watching the video and having Connor narrate for us...this definitely was a trip worth every penny!!!

Jeremy and Lacy said...

Sounds and looks like yall had a great time! Love all the pictures! I can't wait to take Kiley. We should plan a trip with all of us at some point, then yall could show us the ropes! :)

The Davis Family said...

Connor looked like he was having a blast! Love his Mickey hat!!