Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My new second job...

...to spend all of my time looking, searching, and trying to find things that my picky toddler will and can eat. I had an appointment with a dietitian at Vanderbilt today and I have to be honest, as I was leaving my heart sunk knowing that my life until this point will never be the same. I now have to enter the "allergy free" zone. Gone are the days when I can not even think twice about that cookie I am giving Connor, gone are the days when I can say, "Sure son you can have the cereal, Nutri Grain bar, toast, chocolate, chicken nuggets...the list goes on and on and on. I am so discouraged and frustrated about what my new life as a mother with a child with allergies means. I have so much to learn about this and my head is starting to spin. I am worried about how I will do what seems like a full time job of preparing meals, searching for food that he can eat (nut, milk, egg and WHEAT free). To be honest I thought that before today we might be able to go on living life as we knew it being semi normal just avoiding milk, eggs and nuts. I didnt really worry about the wheat since Connor has never reacted to it. Then talking to the allergist made me more aware that by giving him these things (even though he doesnt have a reaction) might be doing things on the inside that I am not even aware of. She compared it to someone having a heart attack. That person might be doing things for years and years without a reaction, but after having a heart attack wished they could go back and prepare to try to avoid it. It made sense. She also asked me about Connors bowel movements again and when I told her that he has always had loose stools she just shook her head like "yeah, I thought so." I have been bombarded the last few weeks with every ones opinions about allergies and I have to say that some I semi-agree with, and others I just shrug my shoulders and go on. I think that until you are in the situation with your own child, you dont know what you would do. Some people have said that they probably have allergies too but were never tested and seem to be just fine. Well that is all great, but I know that Connor has allergies because I have had warning sign after warning sign that he does. He has also been tested and I cant ignore that. Before I didnt think too much about these allergies because Connor had seemed to outgrow them a bit. Then I thought maybe the reason he was more tolerant to milk at age 2 is because I avoided it for a full year. The advice has been that I should avoid these things now, get tested in a year again and see where we stand. I am dreading going through the grocery store aisles and seeing the price tags! Not to mention the time it is going to take to figure all of this out. I say all of this not so that you will be sympathetic in any way, but basically just to reach out a hand to anyone else out there who is in the same boat, and anyone who might have some advice for me. I have a friend who is also going through this at the very same time and I have to say that it is helpful just to hear that she is struggling in the same way (not that I would wish this on anyone). Her son has the exact same allergies so I am hoping we can learn this together. God did remind me of something today as I was standing in line waiting for the valet to get my car at Vanderbilt (I would never have done this if it wasnt the only option and completely free). A lady pushing a stroller with a disabled child about Connors age went by and I thought to myself, "Oh, how blessed I am." I am completely thankful that this is the only ailment that I am facing with Connor. It will be hard but I can handle it.

10 comments:

Rachel@AllergenFreePlease said...

Thanks so much for calling today. Like I said, I am sorry that you have to deal with this with Connor, but I am thankful that I have someone who understands EXACTLY how I feel. Hopefully between the two of us, we can share and find basics that our kiddos can eat (and will like) and that won't break our budget. I am on a mission until I can have things on hand that fit into our daily routine. This will be a lifestyle change, but I agree with you...things could be SO much worse. It will become easier as we find substitutes and "go to" items. It is just encouraging to know that I am not in this by myself.

Betty said...

Dear Tara,

I have no idea, I can't even imagine. I can only pray, listen, learn with you, and even cry with you if need be. Please know that you are the most qualified mommy ever in the whole wide world for this second job!!! And just know that I am ready to do whatever it takes to protect Connor while at Ms.Betty's...he is much lke family over here!!!

Love,
Betty

The Clifton Family said...

We have the same issues with Ethan, our three year old. We just found out he is also allergic to egg whites (not the yolks) and nuts. But, he has never had a major reaction to either, but we were warned, as you were, about "that one time" to a point where you get scared to death! We can't even venture near Texas Roadhouse anymore because of the peanut dust! Ethan always gets croup as his reaction-his trachea swells and makes him very hoarse. But, we have the epi-pen and are overly cautious about nuts. We haven't been so far about egg whites, but I have been watching him very closely. I am here for you... even though ours aren't quite as bad as yours! Keep us posted on what you find that is egg and nut free for sure!

Jeremy and Lacy said...

Oh...Tara, my heart breaks for you as I read your post. I can imagine how overwhelmed you must feel right now. But I also love how you ended on such a positive note that you can do this. You can, if anyone can overcome this, it is you!! Connor is a lucky boy to have such a great and determined Mommy! As I read your post, I felt anxious for you, but the Lord in that very moment reminded me of Philippians 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." I know that it must seem that you don't know how to handle all of this or move forward, but I am confident that God will show you your next step in this process just as you need it. I will pray DAILY for Connor and for the Lord to give you the wisdom you need. Love you girl!

Kandi said...

I am so glad to hear you have a friend who knows exactly what you are dealing with and how you feel. You are completely right about others not understanding unless you are going through it yourself. Nothing I can say would help. Just know I will be lifting you up in prayer. Romans 8:28

Wadsworth Family- said...

We need to call each other....Lake had an appointment with the dietician at Texas Children's and I went out of there thinking, I guess he'll be living on water and chicken breasts for the rest of his life. By the time she got to the part about baking my own loaves of bread I though I was going to die. We go back again in August for more testing. Since he was allergic to everything they testing him for (eggs,soy,wheat,all nuts, seafood, strawberries, tomatoes, all outdoor allergies, the list goes on...) I just hope he does well when we go to the beach, if his skin is acting up, lord knows people will be to get us to vacate the kiddie pool because they think it's some kind of contagious disease...our poor kiddos.

Kristy said...

Tara,

I hate that Connor is going through this. If there's anything that I can help you out with let me know. I work with a ton of people who know A LOT about food and allergies. So I'll ask aroudn to see if I can get any tips for you. I'll also get on looking for a great cake idea for ya!

Praying for you all!

Kristy

Nikki said...

Tara, I can't imagine having to figure all of that out. Hopefully you guys are just overwhelmed right now and you will just get into a routine like you have been in to this point and all the new foods will become natural to you. Heather's little one, Colton, had lots of allergies, he has outgrown some and still has some, so there is hope. Hang in there!

Tyler & Adrianne Kruse said...

Great post and I will be praying for you through this challenge. You are an Awesome mommy strengthened by th Lord and capable to accomplish all things through Christ.

Josh, Tanya, Trence & Tripp said...

i know it is going to be a challenge tara. i will be praying for you!