Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Friday, April 18, 2008

How did it come to this?

My kitchen counter looks like a shelf in a pharmacy. Over half of this stuff is for Connor, some for me, and some for Cooper. I feel like every day I am shelling out another $10-$20 on another allergy medication. Cooper is taking 3 things for allergies right now, I am now taking Singular (which I admit is a miracle drug!!!), and Connor- well I wont even begin to tell you everything he takes. All of this made me curious about allergies and why it seems to be such a problem for most people these days. I looked up the top 25 worst cities for allergies and low and behold 2 Tennessee cities rank above 20. Knoxville, TN is ranked the 6th worst, and Nashville is 18. It is funny to me though that my allergies were not as severe in K-town as when I moved to Nashville. Brad is just the opposite though, no problems here but had them in E. TN. Oh well, at least it is only 2 times a year for me (fall and spring). I wish I could say the same for poor Connor.
No, I didnt get punched in the eye. Explanation below...
I am still my same happy self, even if I cant see out of one eye!
I have to tell you a story about last night. We played outside for the afternoon and came in around dinner time. Brad and I noticed that Connors eye was starting to swell and we weren't sure why. My guess is that he got into something in our yard and rubbed it in he eye. I had to be at church at 6:30, so I fed Connor dinner and had to jet. I felt so guilty leaving but Brad insisted that he had it under control. Brad called the doctor after I left and said he would keep me posted. I hated to leave, but had been looking forward to this event for a while. Just as I pulled out of the driveway, Brad calls me to tell me that his phone is going dead and the only charger he has for it is in the car I am driving. I had to leave my car their so he would have a car seat. I thought, "this is just great!". One more thing for me to worry about. While at church, Brad texted me that his eye was getting worse, and that the doctor wouldnt call him back. I called him and tried to get more information and he couldnt talk because his phone was dying and he needed to conserve all of its energy for the doctor's phone call. Brad promised that he would let me know if I needed to come home, even if he had to use a neighbors phone. I never got another call so I felt like things were under control. When I got home Connor was in bed. His eye was still very swollen, but Brad said that he fell asleep on his shoulder twice and couldnt keep his eyes open another minute. Get this, the doctor STILL hadnt called back! I was pretty angry at this point. I called them myself and got a call right back. I am not sure if it is because I stressed that it was the third time we were calling without a response, or if the doctor never got the message properly. Anyway, when I finally talked to her she said not to worry to much if it wasnt bothering him. She recommended getting some allergy eye drops and starting him on Clariten everyday for his allergies. She also said that it was definitely time to get checked by an allergist. I am going to make that call this week and get an appointment scheduled and hopefully we will have some answers as to what he is allergic to. It is such a guessing game right now. This all happened last night. The pictures above are from this morning after I gave him the Benadryl (it was almost swollen shut when he woke up). Today his eye improved and then swelled up again this afternoon and also spread to the other eye. It makes me so sad to look at him, he just doesn't look like his same ole' self. I am so glad that it isnt bothering him though, that would break my heart for sure!

Connor loves the vacuum and the broom. He used to just watch me, now he wants to do it all by himself. Today when I was sweeping the kitchen, Connor was right under my feet. I wasnt getting much dirt swept successfully so I thought I would give him his own cleaning utensil. I remembered that my mop had an adjustable handle so it was just his size. He played for an hour cleaning the floors, even the carpet got mopped! Ha!




Mommy's Little Helper

5 comments:

Heather Robinette said...

I can definitely sympathize with the medication situation!!! The windowsill in my kitchen is also full of meds...mostly allergy!!! Connor is so cute and I love seeing all the posts!

Anonymous said...

Tara;
I did not know what seasonal allergies were until Alan & I got married & I moved to Middle TN! I guess with Hillary & Brittany growing up here, they have adapted because they don't seem to have the problems I do. Mine are especially difficult in the fall and every year it is hit or miss on what works. I will keep my fingers crossed that you find a combination that works for Connor.

Lydia

Ashley said...

I feel your pain, I did not have problems with allergies until I moved to Atlanta and it seems like it gets worse each year. I hope Connor gets to feeling better and you as well!

The Clifton Family said...

If you live in TN, you understand allergies! Don't feel like the only one that has to deal with that. Garrett is on Singulair and Flonase, and I am afraid Ethan will be on something soon, too. I love Singulair for me, too. It is a miracle drug for sure!

Maranda said...

I am so sorry Tara. It is one thing for us to suffer but to see Connor or Brody stuffed up or swollen makes my heart break and I know yours too. Brody has allergy attacks too and very sensitive skin so we are there with you and the medicine. I hope they outgrow it!!!