Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Monday, April 14, 2008

Let the landscaping begin!

This is a flowering crabapple tree that has dark pink blooms and does not bear fruit (we hope!)


We are eventually going to make a flower bed around this "Saucer Magnolia" or "tulip tree" as some people refer to it. It gets large beautiful tulip looking flowers on it in the spring and looks more like a bush than a tree.

We decided to kick off the new planting season with a couple of trees. We found a nursery close by that has great prices on some very nice trees. We have a landscaping plan in mind, but decided to start off slow by planting some of the smaller trees we wanted. On Friday we bought them, immediately came home and Brad started digging. The ground was wet from the rain and it made it much easier. It was hilarious, Brad had only been digging for a couple of minutes and he was surrounded by 5 kids standing all around him. If only I had had my camera! They were very curious about what was going on. Pretty much any time we make an appearance outside the kids follow. They LOVE "baby Connor" as they say. Even the older boys love on him, it is so sweet. With mostly girls and a few boys including Connor, it got interesting when Brad found a worm in the hole he was digging. He gave it to Hank (the oldest boy) who then chased every girl (screaming at the top of their lungs) around our yard until he threw it on them. It took Brad a little longer than it would have, but he finally got the hold dug and we planted our first tree. We cant wait to watch them grow and bloom year after year. It is going to take a while to get our yard the way we want it, but that is half the fun- Doing a little at a time and stepping back to see the progress. I cant wait to plant flowers, but it is still too early as evident from the cold snap this weekend. Hopefully it will get warm again soon! As for now, we are hoping for more rain for our baby trees.

4 comments:

Tabitha said...

You make me jealous. Wish I had a green thumb, but nope it's black. Ha, ha.

Anonymous said...

Brad & Tara, I hope you do have the crabapple tree that does not bare fruit because the one in my front yard (Aunt Susie) is a crabapple tree. Greatmaw Thompson always had them in her front yard. Before she passed away she taught Amanda & me how to make Crabapple Jelly. When Bob passed away she came to the house and couldn't believe how full bloomed it was and she told me she wanted me & Amanda to learn to make the jelly. It is a very ugly tree in the winter (Sorry, but it is) but beautiful when it blooms. Good Luck!! Love you, Aunt Susie

Anonymous said...

Hea! Maybe it is a tree that bares fruit and Amanda & me can teach you, Brad, & Baby Connor how to make jelly. Boy, wouldn't that be fun!?! That would be a real family hand-me-down. . . Just let Amanda know & let's see if she remembers!!
Ha! Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find the recipe!!!! Love, Aunt Susie

Matthew, Pam, and Kaitlyn Thompson said...

Matt, Kaitlyn, and I are all about the trees right now. Ours are white dog woods and we have been going down into the backyard and digging them up to move to the front yard. Very cost effective. We do look like a bunch of Red Necks though.