Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sick little boy

Poor Connor has had a rough few days. As you know it all started last Thursday when his allergies spread to his eye. It looks so bad, I am surprised I havent been accused of child abuse because it looks like someone gave him a shiner. As soon as it clears up, it flares up again so we have had to keep the eye drops within reach. Zyrtec is our new best friend, along with Nasohist and some Benadryl. This morning it took me about 30 minutes to medicate Connor before he went to Ms. Betty's. Brad wondered why he was pitching a fit in the floor when he came down this morning. I said, "wouldnt you if you had to take this much medicine just to start the day?" Poor baby! On Saturday afternoon Connor started to run a fever and I gave him Tylenol (yet another medicine) to try and get it down. Unfortunately we didnt realize it wasnt working until 12:30. I called the after hours doc and he told me to try some Motrin. I thought, "Great, we have every other medication under the sun, but no Motrin!" Brad was a trooper and hopped in the car to head to Franklin (our pharmacy was closed). About 40 minutes later he returned with the liquid gold and Connor finally fell asleep so we just left him until about 3:00. I gave him some then and it brought his fever down a little. That night Connor slept in our bed facing the wrong direction and I slept across the bed curled up close to him. Besides having a pain in my neck the next morning, I felt pretty rested considering. Connor was still feeling puny on Sunday and still ran a temp on and off. Sunday night he was burning up again and was up and down all night. I stayed home on Monday and took Connor to the doctor. They took some cultures, something that was not too fun for our little man. They took a long wire with what looked like a small Q-tip on the end and stuck it down his nose until only a little bit of wire was exposed. This was supposed to tell them what kind of bacteria was causing his stuffy nose that he has had for 2 months now. Fortunately it came back fine. Unfortunately we still dont know what to use to help him get rid of it. Zyrtec is good, but not working for the stuffy and runny nose. They also took a blood sample from his toe and nothing was found there. They basically said he had some kind of virus since he was on antibiotics and showing no signs of infection. Today he is feeling better and I worked and he went to Ms.Bettys and had a good day. Tonight he was very clingy and irritable. The most frustrating part right now is that I cant seem to figure out what he wants before he melts and it takes him 2o minutes to calm down again. He went to bed early so I think he is still working on getting well. Please pray that he gets completely well this week before I have to leave him on Saturday morning for 6 days! Ohh, pray for me too!!! I cant even begin to imagine how hard it is going to be, to be away from him that long. It will be good for everyone, though I think. Good for Brad and I to spend some time together, good for Connor to be away from us, and good for the grandparents to get some quality time in with their grandson!

These pictures were taken on Saturday before Connor starting feeling puny. He loves helping Mommy and Daddy on the yard!

2 comments:

Jeremy and Lacy said...

He is sooo big! I cannot get over it. So precious! I'm sorry that he has been so sick. I'll be praying that he can get over it quickly! Miss yall...I think we are going to be able to come in for the big wedding, so I look forward to seeing you then!

Casey said...

Oh Tara that is terrible that he has been having such a hard time! You seem to be handling it so good!! Thanks for the encouragment about breast feeding! By the way, where are you and Brad going?