Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Thursday, January 1, 2009

I have "officially" entered the club...

I have been sworn into the official "Soccer Mom", about to be a "30" year old, proud owner of a MINI VAN club! I have been coming to grips with the fact that I am about to turn 30 and the fact that I now own a minivan. Ha! Is there something that you dont know, you might ask... No, we are not expecting another baby right now although it will hopefully be in our future AND since I have had Connor the QX has become more and more cramped and cumbersome while traveling with a child AND a dog. I know what you are all probably thinking... yes it is an SUV and they are supposed to have tons of room, right? Well, it is hard to explain without seeing it in person, but the door frame is small and I cant tell you how many times I have hit my head trying to get Connor in and out of the car. When we travel we almost always have Cooper with us and it makes it hard when you are trying to carry a decent amount of cargo, etc. SO, the minivan has become more and more enticing over the past 2 years. There are all of those super cool SUVs out there but with gas the way it was this summer, I didnt want to go that route. We thought that we would wait until we had another baby, but with the car industry doing so poorly we decided to see what our options were. We test drove pretty much all of the vans and despite the fact that I was set on the Nissan Quest, we actually fell in love with the amenities and drive of the Toyota Sienna and got a great deal. It drives GREAT! We laugh because the salesmen (who we had worked with before when we bought Brads truck) asked Brad, "Did you have another kid or something?" Ha! Not sure what Brad's response was. We have been joking with each other that we can not believe that we are now driving a van, but believe me we are loving it so far! The fact that it is probably not the most cool thing on the road to drive in my opinion does not out weigh all of the versatility, and comfort that you get out of the minivan. Besides most of all of my "cool Mom" friends that I know drive them anyway! (please dont get offended guys! LOL) The difference between us is that you all have multiple children while I only have one! Ha! Anyway, we cant wait for our next road trip!!! I ended up getting the blizzard pearl exterior with tan leather interior. We decided that since we would be keeping this van and driving it for a very long time, to get the navigation and rear DVD system. We haven't tested the DVD yet, we are going to save that for a long road trip as my biggest fear is that as soon as we get into the car that Connor will want to watch a movie. Definitely dont want that! Here are a few pictures, the last one is like mine but not a very good view.

12 comments:

Betty said...

Welcome to the "coolest" club in town, EVER!

And yesss...once you start the DVD you can never go back. Sooo..trying to keep it to long trips if you can is the one thing I would recommend. Nico thinks it is a must have even when we are going to Kroger. Good Luck on that!

Happy New Year!

Hugs and kisses,
Betty

Lindsey said...

have no shame in the minivan! I am sure I will be there too eventually and if money is provided ha!

carriehayes said...

Tara, congrats!!!!! no shame in that at all! i can't wait to take a ride in it with you...since you have a "few" extra seats! ha! love you!

p.s. crazy-man's pic at the top is a little scary! may want to delete that one.

Rachel@AllergenFreePlease said...

VERY COOL!

The Rue Family said...

I have an SUV and hate it too. There is definitely not as much room in it as you would think and I have two little ones squeezed back there! Love your new van!

Wow, Willie does look a little scary!

Tabitha said...

Welcome to the cool mom's club! I know what you mean about the small door frame. I was always hitting my head in the pathfinder and once you put two car seats in the back you are out of room. I love my mini van!

Nikki said...

Tara, I completely understand what you mean about the SUV. Our Pathfinder is way cramped with one child and a dog. My problem is I am about to even downsize smaller to a car because of my job and the amount I drive. I am very scared that I will hate it and feel claustriphobic, not sure of that spelling, but anyway, I always love vans on our trips. I bet you made a great decision!

The Clifton Family said...

Man, Tara. I can't believe you went there. Kris has wanted one for years, but I can't stomach the fact that I would have to drive it each day. I am 31, but can't get to that point in my life yet, even though I do have to admit that they are much better than my SUV. You test it out and let me know how it goes. I think I will stay out of the club for a few more years (decades). HA.

The Richards-Rod, Suzanne, and Addie said...

I am sure you will love the van. It sounds wonderful, and all of my friends that have them think they are great!

The Richards-Rod, Suzanne, and Addie said...

I am sure you will love it. It sounds great, and all of my friends that have them think they are wonderful. Congrats on your new purchase!

Maranda said...

Tara, I am in the same boat you are in so many ways. As you know we got our van at the end of summer and we only have Brody for now but I love the van and I don't regret getting rid of our SUV for it at all!!! You will love it and Connor will too!

Jeremy and Lacy said...

YAY! That is awesome! I am next in line. When the Tahoe poops out I think that is what we will get! I am excited for you! Can't wait to see it in person in Feb!