Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Taking on a new challenges!

I am usually not one for New Year's resolutions simply because, lets face it we all know that we dont stick to them! This year I told myself that I was going to do a few things that I have been neglecting the past few years.

1. Get back into shape.

2. Get involved at church.

3. Get back into contact with old friends.

I am proud to say that at the end of January, I can now say I have accomplished ALL of goals I set for myself or at least I am working on them!

I have joined a Bible Study at church, and found a connect group (Sunday school class) which I love! AND I have talked with a few old friends which is awesome! Also, I have joined a running group which actually consists of a few girls from Bible Study. We meet every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday we go up to Fleet Feet in Brentwood and do a group run with 150 other runners. I have been running on my treadmill since October and went from running nothing to 2 miles this past month. My friend Beth asked me if I wanted to join her and run with a small group of girls from church. At first I was a little hesitant. I thought, Ok I am not a runner and if these people are hard core I am going to be running ALONE. Beth is also a beginner runner but very in shape because she has a trainer and goes to the gym 4 days a week. I also havent ran outside since this past summer and as we all know that is a very different ballgame. I skipped out on last Monday's run because I didnt sleep much and they meet at 5 am, which meant I had to get up at 4:30 just to get there. On Wednesday night, I was like "OK, I can do this." I set the alarm and got up and met up with them not knowing what was in store for me. We took off and when I told the girls that I didnt run outside, they seemed a little concerned! We meet at a subdivision and one of the girls maps out the runs and she had a plan for us to do a 3 1/2 mile route. When we got finished we all thought it seemed like we went a lot farther than that. She insisted that we were wrong but when we got online and did "map my run" we actually ran 4.6 miles! I still cant believe that I went from running 2 to 4.6 on the road in a day. When we finished they asked me if I was going to train with them to run the Music City 1/2 marathon and I was like, "sure". I figure this will give me a goal to work toward and keep me focused. We are doing the training program at Fleet Feet. You pay $50 and meet every Saturday to do large group runs and trainers talk after every run. This Saturday we ran 6 miles and it totally kicked my butt but I did it so I am happy. If you would have told me a year ago that I would be doing this, I would tell you that you were CRAZY! I will have to say that running with a group makes it so much easier. I never would have done this on my own. I cant wait for it to warm up because getting up a 4:30 and running in 24 degree weather isnt the most exciting thing ever! I also have to rush home just to jump in the shower, get ready for work, and get Connor ready go get out the door. It isnt easy, but I am determined not to let this stop me.

Also Brad has a challenge of his own... He has been looking for a way to make his golf game more competitive and has found a way. He is joining the Amateur Golf Tour! He gets to travel to different courses all over Middle Tennessee and get a chance to qualify for a national tourn. in Hilton Head! So everyone pray for us as we have a fun year in store for us!

7 comments:

Betty said...

Stepping out of your "comfort zone" is exactly what we need sometimes to grow in so many areas of life and look at how much excitement and joy it has already brought on!!!

The journey you and Brad are on will only get sweeter as you continue to challenge and encourage one another. And I can't wait to see what happens next! I have always been intrigued with the whole stepping-out-of-the-box, and changing up the routine a little and seeing where that leads you!

Anonymous said...

Tara,

I am so proud of you guys!! Those are all great goals. I'm so glad that you are training to run the half marathon! You'll have so much fun and running with a group is a great motivator. I miss ya'll. I really hope we can get together soon.

carriehayes said...

tara, i am so proud of you! what great goals for this year! i will be there to cheer you on at the half!!! you are going to do great! love you!

The Deakins said...

Ok, so I"m gonna be your "realist" friend...Are you nuts!!!! you have a toddler and are training for a half marathon-OUTSIDE??? and at 4:30am???? you are nuts!!!!you are awesome, but you are nuts!!!! more power to ya, i'll just live vicariously (spelling?) through you while mine is still only 5 weeks old!!!! get skinny for me too sista!

Heather Robinette said...

I am very impressed! I wish that I had that dedication, not to mention stamina! I don't think I could even run 1/2 a mile!!! Way to go and keep us posted.

Mr. and Mrs. Reckard said...

That all sounds really fun! You all need to spend time for yourselves. I am sure it is hard to do, but everyone needs ME time!

Casey said...

Good for you guys! So exciting all the goals you've set, you're already off to a great start! Stick with the morning runs, once you've done it for a while you won't even realize how early it is...well, you'll still know how early it is, but it definitely won't be as bad! You'll just feel so great that you've alreay done it for the day! I'm also excited for you about your new bibl study! I can't wait to hear lots of updates!