Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I should have gone home...

It all started last night when I was going home from the funeral home (my Great Uncle) that I noticed I needed gas in my car. I didnt want to stop because Connor was fussing in the backseat, it was 7:30 and I hadnt eaten yet and I needed to get Connor ready for bed. I thought I would wait until the morning. Well, this morning I didnt feel like getting up early to get gas before work, so I thought I would wait until lunch. I spent every single minute of my lunch break in Target (which is what usually happens when I go there) so I didnt have time to do it then. I thought I would go on my way home but I didnt get to leave early enough and I like to be on time to get Connor since he is the last one to get picked up at the sitters house. Now Brad and I are pretty bad about waiting till' the empty light comes on in the car. I think we have figured out how much we have in reserve so we wait because we can always find something else to do in the meantime. Well today was no exception. As I got off my exit to go to Betty's I saw the light come on and I thought well I have enough to get home. I didnt feel like going to wait in line at the gas station which is what usually happens at rush hour. As I was driving away after picking up Connor I contemplated whether or not to get gas, or wait until later that night or in the morning. Since I knew that I wouldnt want to do it in the morning I decided to head towards the station... Big mistake.

I got gas without much trouble and then started to head out of the parking lot, then BOOM... A white 4-Runner came out of nowhere and we hit. My bumper hit her tires and I pretty much just bounced off. It did shake me up a bit, but once I realized that everyone was OK I calmed down and proceeded to check out the damage. Connor never made a peep in the backseat and when I looked back there he was playing with a water bottle like nothing had ever happened. The other girl got out of her car and came over to my car and said, "I never even saw you." When the cop got there he asked us both what happened and pretty much we both had the same story, although I didnt even get 3 feet away from the gas pump so I feel pretty confident that she was at fault because we hit so hard and she was driving so close to the pumps and cars. Im not sure, but I think she even felt that way because she looked very nervous and upset when I said that we needed to get a police report. Hmmm... The policeman gave me the police report number but said that they dont determine who is at fault and it would be up to the insurance company. The reason I say company, is because (of course) she has no insurance!

I have to say that I am extremely thankful that no one was hurt, especially with 2 babies involved. Thank the Lord for that! However, the irony in all of this is that we just paid my car off on Friday, AND we raised our deductible to $1000 on our car insurance because we havent had a claim in years, AND I hit a 16 year old girl with no insurance, AND she has NO TELEPHONE! I thought about this as I was driving home and I called the officer again to tell him that she had a cell phone before he got there. He said not to worry, that he knew how to find her. That is when I found out that she was a 16 year old living with her parents. I am hoping that her parents will be responsible but I know that will probably not be the case. Did I mention that she had a baby about Connors age? I didnt realize that she was that young initially but it makes sense now. I will have to take it up with my insurance tomorrow and see what the process is. I have to admit that when I think about what I pay every month in insurance (not to mention that the state law requires it) and people can still drive around without it and most of the time get away from an accident without any damage, it makes me angry. I didnt see a scratch on her car and as you can tell by the pictures her tire marks are all over my bumper. Oh well, that is the way it works... I keep paying high deductibles for people like this.

I also have to mention that as I sat down to write this post I knocked my cup of water over onto my magazines and camera... I think I will go to bed now before anything else happens. Sweet Dreams and hopefully the skies will be brighter tomorrow!

(Sorry guys I will have to post pics later- something is wrong with blogger right now...)

6 comments:

Denira Baird Williams said...

what a terrible evening!!! I'm sorry that happened to you!! I'll be praying that you have a better day today!

Anonymous said...

tara- i hope you have a better day! i have had days like i will say a little prayer for you!

Wadsworth Family- said...

I'm so glad you guys are O.K. Someone told me that if you get into any type of accident with the infant in his carseat,you should call the carseat company and find out if you need to replace the car seat. I hope you don't have tobuy a new one! Amanda

Nikki said...

I am so sorry about your bad day. I know how you feel, I have only had my car back about a month since the crash. Thank the Lord you guys were O.K. Hopefully things will only look up for you. I will say a prayer for you as well. I am interested to see the pics.

Anonymous said...

oh Tara! that is horrible! i hope tomorrow is better and that everything works out. we had the same thing happen to jason and i too can't believe so many people are driving without insurance! love you!

Darby said...

I am so sorry!!! I am so glad that you and Connor are both okay! Hope tomorrow is a much better day!