Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Sunday, October 14, 2007

One tough, little boy!


This past week, Connor was feeling a little puny. Well, little is not really the word, he didnt feel good at all, but you never would have known it because he was his normal happy self. It all started with a cold about 3 weeks ago that still hasnt gone away. I thought that it might have been brought on by the teething because they say that can come with it sometimes. We have been wiping snot almost constantly for about a month. It is not very much fun! You get him all cleaned up and nose clear (you think) and then he will sneeze and it all comes out again. On Tuesday of this week, I noticed that Connors eyes were starting to look bad. They werent pink, but just watery and goopy. Mom and I thought that it was just a little cold in the eye and it would go away. Well, it stayed around and I was going to call the doctor when I noticed that one of his ears had dried fluid in it where his ear had ruptured while he was at Ms. Betty's house that day! I called the doctor and took him in the next morning and they told me that he had conjunctivitis (pink eye), an ear infection, and his sinus cavity was full of yuck! To quote her exactly, "Connor is one big snot pocket from his nose, eyes, and ears." I felt terrible! I told her that I usually pay attention to signs that tell me that Connor isnt feeling well, but he didnt do anything this time which would have indicated that he felt any different than his happy self! He didnt even pull at his ear, which signals the infection. She couldnt believe it and said that he was one tough little boy! Connor never ceases to amaze me sometimes. I should have taken him to the doctor sooner because of his cold since they tell you to if it lasts for more than 2 weeks. I just thought it would be another one of those visits where they send you home and tell you to wait is out, there is nothing they can do. I have learned my lesson this time! She said the pink eye and ear infection were caused by the duration of the cold. She also said it was probably caused by allergies. Which leads me to another problem... Connor is allergic to milk, our dog, and other various things that we cant seem to pinpoint. I hope he grows out of this! It is making it a real challenge to feed him solids when he cant have anything that has milk products in it. A lot of the baby food has milk in it, which has surprised me. I have to read labels on everything. This baffles us because neither Brad or I have allergies besides the seasonal ones that most people get around here. Please pray that Connor will get well and grow out of this soon!
-By the way, we dont usually put Connor in boxes... Daddy got a new shop vac and Connor was mighty interested in the box. We put him inside and he played in there for like an hour!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, you have just convinced me to take H to the doctor. i have been waiting it out and it has been about a month now that he has had a runny nose. same story...teething and allergies...but i need to make sure he doesn't have an infection!

i didn't know that he was allergic to milk. wow! that has to be hard! i hope he will grow out of it!

Wadsworth Family- said...

I hope you figure out all of Connor's allergies. Lake isn't allergic to milk, but the blood test showed he was allegic to wheat and wheat flour; which is practically in everything! I guess we'll just have to start baking our own infant snacks with no milk or wheat! Amanda