Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What an interesting day...

My day started at 6 :45 when Connor woke me up hungry. That figures because I didnt have to get up early for work and he is usually in such a deep sleep when I leave for work after 7 every morning. Little rascal... Well, I thought this is OK I can get a jump start on my day and get lots done. I go in his room and get him out of his crib while I get him ready for the day. I feed him, change him and sit him down with some toys while I fetch the drill, hammer, screws, nails and other various things to hang all these things sitting around in my way. Connor is getting so close to crawling and will roll or back crawl to get to anything that looks interesting. I successfully hang many things in my bedroom, bathroom, Connors room and then vacuum before going downstairs to start working down there. I get Connor some breakfast while trying to organize at the same time... Can we say multi tasking?
It is now time for Connors nap so we go back upstairs and I lay him down and think to myself, "Should I take my shower now?" , "Nahhh, I will wait. There is too much that I can do now while Connor is sleeping." Well, this was a big mistake and you will find out in a minute why. I work, work, work moving a mile a minute because there is total peace and quiet, except for my dog who is barking at the mail man, and other various things in the front yard. We dont have a fence yet, which is another story entirely. I walk the dog and then come back in and Connor wakes up. I go and get him and usually can sit him down with some toys while I bathe myself and get ready for the day. Well, I think this can wait for now. We come downstairs and get started on Connors lunch. I pick today to start weaning Connor from his bottle, this didnt work at all. He screamed and I thought that I would just stick to my guns, but I finally gave in and thought that I would start another day. Ok, feeding is done. I am starving so I fix myself something to eat and start eating and attempt to watch Dancing with the Stars that I taped last night. Everything is going great, THEN I hear the doorbell ring. The one thing that I love about this house is that the front of the house is filled with windows (with no blinds) and the front door is partially glass. It lets tons of light in however the big downfall is that when you have an unexpected visitor they can just peer in and see you, leaving you with no escape! I know you have all done it before... Here is a visual for you- no bra, old t-shirt with brown paint stains on it, and old pajama pants that I love because they are so comfy...Of course there is no makeup and my hair is a mess because I have not had the shower from earlier. I was trapped. My car was in the driveway and Cooper was going crazy trying to pry the door off. I took a deep breath, got up and put Cooper in the bathroom then opened the door and tried to smile. Another nice neighbor! I met her the day before so he has seen my somewhat presentable, but this wasnt one of the first impressions that I had been hoping for! We talked at the front door for a minute, then her 2 year old made his way into the house. I invited her in and she came in and sat down for a chat. Oh gosh, this was awkward for sure! Her 2 year old boy was doing what they do best, exploring through all of my unpacked stuff on the floor. He got curious and let Cooper out of the bathroom and then that made me a nervous wreck because he doesn't do well with little children. The boy ran after him and Cooper barked and backed into a corner... I warned Mom that he can be pretty jumpy and I wouldn't put it past him to snap at any minute. I spent the next 10 minutes trying to keep them apart while trying to carry on a conversation with my new neighbor. She leaves a few minutes later and I have a sigh of relief. Cooper is ready to go outside to potty. Well, first of all we replaced all of our door knobs in the house and for some reason the manufacturer thought it would be clever to put a feature that allows you to turn the doorknob from the inside even though it is really locked. Well, you guessed it. It can get you locked out very quick! I put Cooper on his leash and head out the back door, with Connor screaming in the background. In one motion I am jerked out the door by Cooper and in slow motion as the door is closing I tried to turn it to see if it is locked and it is. I think no big deal, just leave it open. Just as I walk down the stairs of the back deck the wind blows. I turn around and I see the door closing. Then just as this happens Cooper comes out of his collar because it is too big... Ugghhhh!!! In a split second I am faced with a tough decision. Do I turn around and catch the door so I am not locked out from my 9 month old baby inside or do I run after my dog who will figure out that he is FREE and run like a little jackrabbit? Well, I did the smart thing. Baby first, dog second. Another pretty picture, me running after my dog in the yard with no bra and pajamas on at 1:30! Luckily Cooper came to me when I called him from the neighbors yard. Thank the Lord!!! As I go inside Connor is eating some cardboard from a box that was sitting nearby. I yank it away, change the 5 poopy diaper of the day and he goes down for the second nap. I talk to Brad in the meantime, who asks the worst question that a father can ask, "What have you done all day?" Arrrgghhhh, time for a shower now!!!!

10 comments:

Tyler & Adrianne Kruse said...

Tara, that was so funny! I too have learned to get that shower done right away before I'm "caught". You are way cute!

Anonymous said...

I hope Brad was sympathetic when you told him what all had happened but knowing him (being a man and all he wasn't). I would like to say it gets better but wait until all this happens and Connor is running from you too! What makes it even worse is they think it is funny. Kaitlyn does that all the time. I feel your pain. Pam

Anonymous said...

Oh my Tara what a day you have had! And I thought my day was hectic! But I'm sure you forget about how bad of a day you have had when you look at the little guy's face and he smiles at you! Kim

Wadsworth Family- said...

Um, Jeff and I did lock ourselves out of the house with biscuits in the oven. Jeff kicked the front door in,frame and all. We realized later that it would have been a much easier repair if he would have just broken a window! Amanda

Tara said...

Amanda, that is too funny! Yes, I think a window would have been the best choice but you dont always think logically in that moment. Ha Ha!

Heather Robinette said...

Tara, this sounds like something that would happen to me! I was picturing it all in my mind and laughing out loud!!! I'm sure Brad gave you the night off when he got home!!!

Heather

Denira Baird Williams said...

You could make a movie just out of this one day!!!

Lindsey said...

haha dont you just hate it when they ask that question and then you try to explain but never can get the real point across b/c they just were not there going through it :)

Darby said...

You are cracking me up!!! This is just too funny! I'm glad you are able to look back and find it funny now...I'm sure it wasn't at the moment!

Tabitha said...

This is hilarious!! You are too much! At least it wasn't me knocking on your door this time, ha ha.

Tabitha