Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Monday, July 14, 2008

Is my child ready for the potty?

Ok, this is a question for all of you experienced mothers out there. Tonight, I was getting Connor ready for his bath. I took his clothes and diaper off while the water was running and he walked into the hall, squatted and peed in the floor. He looked at it and said, "water". Peeing in the floor is nothing new, because this happens sometimes when he is waiting for a diaper change. I knew that newborn boys did this, but I thought we would be past this by now. Anyway, it seemed like he knew what he was doing. He squatted and everything. I know he has been watching Ms. Betty's son practice going potty, so maybe he is getting a better understanding of it now. My question is... should I get a potty chair and start training? Another adventure!!

3 comments:

Kristy said...

I know that my boy is only 5months, but if he is interested definitely entertain the idea. I woudln't go into it with both feet, but just test the waters. Most boys don't train until between 3 and 4, but my nephews started around 2 1/2 so it can be done earlier. Kaylyn's urologist says that kids don't know what the "urge" is until around 2 years or after so don't get discouraged if he doesn't seem to get it. You just don't want to push or they'll try to hold it. So I would just see if he is interested and go from there. Hope this helps!

Allison said...

It doesn't hurt to introduce him to it. Braden was completely trained at 2-1/2 but showed some interest around 18 mos. and then became dis-interested again until around age 2 (at age 2 in January 2006, I was the problem - I didn't want to hassle with going to the potty every 15 mins - so I delayed until summertime - less clothing to deal with - and finally, on 7/27/06, he started using the big potty all of the time and would tell us when he needed to go and what he needed to do!) The key is to learning their cues. He definitely sounds interested, but the additional way I knew Braden was ready was that he was staying dry during naps and even overnight (overnight is not always normal for boys, but thank goodness it was for Braden!); he also wanted to go and watch us every time we went. I didn't want to fool with cleaning a separate little potty and just bought step stools for each bathroom and a potty seat for each toilet. We had to help him get up and down of course for quite some time but the step stools were a must when he became more independent. When I got really serious about training, I literally asked him every 15 mins if he needed to go. His daycare teachers were on board with us, too. Plus, it helped that his best buddy was already using the potty regularly at daycare. Sorry for the long comment... Good luck!

Jeremy and Lacy said...

I have no idea...that is why I am glad you are going thru this before me! Sounds like it is worth a shot though! Keep us posted!