Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Sunday, October 4, 2009

PGA Tour Championship

We had a great time last weekend in Atlanta for The Tour Championship. We left on Tuesday night so that we could watch the practice rounds on Wednesday and stayed until Saturday night. Brad really wanted to watch them practice because the players are more laid back, sign autographs, and take pictures which you couldn't do once the tournament started. I will start off by saying that I have never been a big fan of golf. So needless to say I was excited about getting away for a child free weekend, but not too pumped about the tournament. Well much to my surprise I actually really enjoyed it! Brad was pretty excited too and is already talking about what PGA tourney we will go to next. I was so amazed at the talent of the pros and to be able to follow them around for 4 days, I learned to appreciate the game. Before I just thought it was a good source of background noise for my Sunday naps! The weather really came through for us. After all of the flooding that Atlanta had the week before we were worried about the course, but it wasn't as bad as we had expected.

We also got to meet up with some old friends on Friday night. We left after the rounds on Saturday, so we could have a day at home before the work day began on Monday. We watched the tournament on TV and I was so excited when Phil pulled off the win. Brad was really rooting for Kenny Perry (the local guy). It was really cool to watch it on TV after having watched it in person that week. We sat behind the #1 tee on Thursday and actually got on TV a few times. We had a great time and cant wait to go again in the near future.



We got to see Tiger on the 18th hole, he was finishing up when the gates opened on Wednesday. Guess he doesn't like the crazy mob of people following him around... and yes they are crazy! I actually got pushed out of the way on Thursday by a woman just so she could get a glimpse of Tiger. By Saturday it was impossible to get near him!

Kenny Perry

Ernie Els...couldn't believe how big he was.

The clubhouse was really beautiful. Too bad we weren't allowed inside.

Phil Mickelson

Brad likes to joke that he finally got to watch a PGA event and I made him follow Phil the entire time!
We couldnt believe how laid back Phil was. He would even talk to the spectators during the tourney. It was great!

We also enjoyed watching Zach Johnson on Wednesday.
This was actually kind of a joke. I kept telling Brad to go and have his picture made with some of the players. So finally our perfect opportunity came and it was Y.E. Yang!
(Brad and the Tiger slayer, both in their orange)
Fun times with friends!
Kellye's husband (Keith) is good friends with the caddy for Brian Gay, so he came out and joined us on Friday. He really enjoyed talking to him!

3 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Reckard said...

I see why you like Phil :)

Ashley said...

Josh and I went several years ago and it seems like we always have something to do when it comes around now but we LOVED it! Glad you all had a great time!

Owings Family said...

So glad Phil pulled it through for you! He sure did look good Sunday in that bright blue! :)