Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Friday, October 23, 2009

We are potty trained!

I am so pleased to say that we are potty trained at the Thompson house! About a month ago I asked Lacy for her advice on how she potty trained Kiley and she told me about the "3 Day Potty Training" ebook that helped her. I thought we would give it a shot, although I will tell you I was skeptical. I thought it was going to be a lot harder since we have a boy (from what I have heard from my friends) and that Connor is pretty stubborn in general. Connor likes to be in control and doesnt want any help with anything. At 18 months Connor started showing an interest, so we encouraged him but didn't push. However this was short lived and Connor eventually got to the point that he would tell me he didn't want to go on the potty and would cry. So I stopped pushing him, not wanting to frustrate him and make it worse. Well, here we are at 34 months and I thought it was about time that we start figuring this thing out. He was telling me when he needed a diaper change, etc. I knew he was ready, but I had to find the time to actually do the training.

Last weekend Brad was out of town and I was at home with no plans, so I was brave and decided to tackle this all by myself. You might say that Brad got off easy and my answer to this is definitely YES! However, I knew it was a good time so I put on my happy face and went to it. Her advice is not to leave the house for 3 days (not for one single thing!) and that is exactly what we did. I definitely had cabin fever with Brad being out of town and not even going outside until the end of the third day. We went to the store on Thursday night and didnt leave again until Monday morning. It was pretty cold and since she advises to just put them in underwear (no pants) and a shirt so we had to crank the heat up and stay indoors. I hate to say that it was easy...it wasn't, but compared to how hard I thought it would be, it was a breeze! At the end of the 1st day, Connor started to get the idea. He would tell me every time he needed to go. By the second day, we only had accidents at nap time and bedtime. She tells you not to use pull ups at all, but I was tired of washing and changing the sheets so we use those when we go down for night or nap and they are our "nighttime underwear". I don't want Connor to think they are even related to diapers because he helped me throw them away and knows that they are no more in this house. He is so happy to be a big boy and is loving all of the "special treats" he is getting! You give them all the control during the 3 days of training and this tactic definitely worked for Connor. He eventually realized that if he didnt tell me when he needed to go, it wasnt going to be pleasant! We have only had 3 accidents since last weekend and I am so proud and amazed that he got this so fast! I would totally recommend this book to anyone! Thanks Lacy...you are my lifesaver!

Connor, I am so proud of you! You are truly my big boy now!

This picture was taken right after he went potty, he was not interested in picture taking. He was ready for his treat of course! This is his Cars potty seat that we got for downstairs.
This picture was taken a few days ago of him on his potty chair that we keep upstairs. I have been trying so hard to get some good potty pictures for his baby book but he is only giving me cheesy smiles or no smile at all. Guess this will have to do. Oh, and he had to have his Trick or Treat pumpkin in the picture too. Don't ask me why it is full of shoes...I quit trying to figure these things out.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

That is awesome, way to go Connor!!!We also did the "3 day thing", our version of it anyway. Sailor is also doing great. That plan is amazing.

Mr. and Mrs. Reckard said...

Such a big boy!

Casey said...

Way to go Connor!! That is so great Tara, we are definitely going to have to check that book out!

Tyler & Adrianne Kruse said...

Ok, so Grant finished day 1 of his "3 Day Potty Training". Your blog encourages me.

Courtney said...

Yea!! I'm sure you guys are thrilled. What are you giving him for his treat? I saw in your last post that you think he does it just so he can see what he gets next which is hysterical :) Hope you all are doing well.

Betty said...

He is doing soooo good and doesn't even ask for a treat over here, ...:) Oh and I think that the pumpkin is his basket for shoes when he is away from Ms.Betty's LOL!!! He is a rule follower you know. The cup goes on the table and the shoes go in the basket...we are working on another area of where things go next month!!! Haha...