Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Black...what a great color!

I like black because it is a slimming color and can hide all of those bulges that we like to cover up. I like black because it is a classic color to wear and for touches in the home. Some of the most prestigious interior designers say you should have a touch of black in every room. Black is a great color for everyone no matter what color your hair and skin is.

I am so glad to say that I have now earned the right to wear a black belt when I train for Taekwondo because I PASSED! Yahoo! It was a huge sigh of relief when I left the testing on Saturday to know that after 3 years and 6 months I am there! The best of the best in this martial art will tell you that when you earn your black belt, that it is only just the beginning. I think they are right, there is still so much to learn and improve upon. I am so excited to keep up my training until I have to take another hiatus again (dont worry not any time soon), but I know that this is something that I will continue for many years to come because I love it! I cant wait until Connor is old enough to go so that I can introduce him to this. It is such great discipline for the kids, and they really feel a sense of accomplishment. I had to witness some very exciting and sad things during the juniors testing. During board breaks there were a few that couldnt break their boards and they would start crying. Some of them were as young as 6 years old. It broke my heart but the instructor told me that they were a lot tougher than you might think. I know this is probably true and I also believe in children feeling disappointment and sadness because without that they would not get to feel the great joy it is to succeed. For the ones who passed, it was written all over their faces and it was awesome to see them so excited. There were also a few adults in my rank who didnt make it and that was sad also, but they will get another chance eventually. I was just so glad that I made it over the hurdle because it would have been a long time before I would have the opportunity to test. The part that I was most concerned about (my form) was actually the one thing that I did perfectly. I sparred my two rounds and thought, Ok now all I have to do now is break boards and it is over. Then they had an odd number for testing and I was called back out to spar AGAIN! I was pretty worn out by the time that was over. My board breaks were a little scary too. I did a sliding side kick and a elbow smash. My side kick broke on my first attempt, but my elbow smash technique wasnt as successful. I dont like to say this since I am a woman myself, but most people know that the best board holders are men. My first board was held my the men, but the second was being held by two older ladies in my class. The boards were the re breakable kind (which in my opinion is harder than actual wood) AND they were brand new, which is even tougher. My second attempt also fell short of breaking. I couldnt understand what the problem was, I have never had to try 3 times to break. I switched board holders (hopefully the ladies didnt get offended) and it broke like a champ! Whew! It was pretty close. You only get 3 attempts to break.

Brad and Connor went with me to watch, but I am pretty sure that Brad missed everything that I did because every time I would walk out to the floor, Connor would spot me and start to walk out there. He is such a Momma's boy! Brad spent most of the time walking the halls with Connor outside the gymnasium of the school where testing was held. Connor was a champ though because testing lasted 2 1/2 hours.

Below is not a picture of myself, I actually dont have my belt yet. I will get it sometime when I return to class. I wont be able to make it to the awards ceremony because Brad will be out of town. Also, I am a probationary 1st degree black belt, so my belt will have a white stripe down the middle until I pass my decided 1st degree test. Then I will get my embroidered belt! 4 more months to go...

11 comments:

Kandi said...

Congrats Tara! That is such an awesome accomplishment!!

carriehayes said...

way to go Tara!!! that is awesome! i will come watch Connor so you can go to the ceremony!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Congratulations!! What an incredible accomplishment

Nikki said...

Congratulations, That is awesome. It was such a big deal when Peyton got his and dad is working hard towards it. What an accomplishment!!

Ashley said...

Tara, that is so awesome. Congratulations!

Heather Robinette said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I know how hard it was for Peyton, and I can't imagine doing it as an adult!

Darby said...

Tara, I am so incredibly proud of you!!! What determination you have shown! Congratulations!!!

The Davis Family said...

Wow, congratulations Tara! That's great!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you! This really is a big accomplishment and I am proud to say My sister has a black belt!

Anonymous said...

Sorry that last comment was from Amanda! Can't remember to sign comments for some reason!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Boy, I pity Brad he better not get on your wrong side. I don't want to either.
That's GREAT! Love you, Aunt Susie