Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Prayers Needed

I havent had much time for blogging this week, but I did want to let you all know what is going on with our family this week. On Sunday as we were heading back home from Rockwood, we got a call from my parents saying that they were on their way to the hospital because PawPaw (my grandfather) was taken by ambulance that morning. He had a very high fever, was very weak, couldnt walk, and had labored breathing. On Monday his fever broke and he was feeling much better, but continued to be on oxygen and had breathing treatments to help rid his lungs of the fluid from the pneumonia he had developed. Brad, Connor and I went for a visit on Tuesday night and he seemed to be doing well considering. I was so glad that he got to see Connor walking and talking. It has been a while since he has seen him because of all of the colds, etc we have had this year. We didnt want to expose Pawpaw to this because he was going through chemo and radiation for his lung cancer. Connor said "paw-paw" over and over and even gave him a high five before he left! Yesterday Pawpaw's condition worsened when his lungs werent getting enough oxygen and his heartbeat became irregular. He was immediately moved to ICU and that is where he is currently. He has now developed Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome which is affecting the ability of his body to receive oxygen. We are not sure what lies ahead, but please pray for him and our family as we go from day to day. There will probably be many ups and downs, as there have been so far.

As you can see our Mothers Day plans were changed, we had planned on spending the day with my Mom in Lebanon. We did get to enjoy a short visit at our house before they headed home from the hospital. We dont have any pictures of the day because it was crazy to say the least. Connor has developed quite a little or shall I say "big personality"! We have experienced several temper tantrums by this point, but on Sunday Connor had a tantrum that lasted 4 1/2 hours! I kid you not, he literally screamed for that long. It even got so bad at one point that we thought he was going to hurt himself, so we put him in his play area, and closed the little door. (No, we didnt shut him in a room. This is a little area that has plastic walls, without a roof) He didnt like this at all! The next thing we know we see toys start flying through the air! I thought, "Who is this child"? Brad got so concerned that he went to the computer to see if their could possibly be something mentally wrong with him! Ha! I knew this wasnt the case, but I was still a little concerned. I have basically decided that it must have been because of the busy day before and not enough sleep. He had a tantrum for an hour the next night, but has been better since. Any of you experienced mothers out there, HELP! I know you are supposed to ignore, and believe me I have but have you ever heard of this? I dont know where his "strong willed" personality comes from, certainly not from me. Maybe, it is a Thompson tantrum! LOL! If you have any advice, please send it my way and thanks for the prayers during this difficult time.

5 comments:

carriehayes said...

Tara, i am so sorry! i will be praying. we were supposed to visit my grandmother on mother's day and we couldn't b/c she got a virus. it is so sad and don't you just miss them so much?!
i love that Brad did some research! that is funny! but i think we all think that about our kids sometimes. i am definitely there with you girl! we have been working on "time-out." i sit Hayden behind the front door and don't look at him. then i try to teach him words that i want him to be understanding like...obey and self-control and yes. there is too much "NO" these days. but i think them getting enough rest goes a LONG way. it makes such a huge difference. i know i act out more when i am tired so i try not to punish as much when he is just tired. i try to do it more when he is rested. i hope that helps. love you and miss you!!!

Kristy said...

Tara,

Thanks for your kind words I appreciate it! I'm VERY sorry about your pawpaw, as you know we have experienced much sickness and loss over the past year. It's tough, but keep faith that he still has fight left in him. As for Connor they say that time out is good, 1 minute for every year that they are just to get them calm. We have found that if they are tired or don't feel good and begin the tantrum go ahead and see if they will sleep. Sometimes that will do the trick. My nephew is 2 and he has tantrums that last like the one that Connor had and my sister has to do exactly what you and Brad did. She gets him in one place where he can get it all out and that has become his time out area. When he does something bad or throws a fit he knows that's where he is going. Stay strong it only gets better when you have 2 or in my case 3 having the fits. LOL! Thank you for the prayers my famiy needs them now. I'll pray for you and your family as well!

Kristy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

Thanks guys for all of your advice. I have tried the time out thing and I think I get more frustrated in the process because I have to keep putting him back there. I am just going to have to be more consistent with it I think.
Carrie, I hope your grandmother gets well soon. I will be praying for her as well.
Kristy, bless your heart! I cant even imagine 3 tantrums! I would lose it, I guess you get more patience with every child hugh?

Darby said...

Tara, I will definitely be praying. I am sorry to hear that you all are going through this right now. Miss you all! Love you!