Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The "funniest" baby shower I have ever given!

Ok, I must start this story by saying that you are about to see one of the UGLIEST baby shower cakes ever! I am totally not kidding you on this one. Everyone I have prepared to see this thing has ended up laughing their head off, or simply gasping.

To start, I will tell you a little about what we did. We had a baby shower for a girl in the office that is due next month with her first baby girl- Lily. Another girl and I organized everything and even coordinated with her husband so that he could be there and surprise Mary (girl we had the shower for). It was pretty simple really, not that much work involved. When it came down to the cake, I decided that I WAS NOT going to make it since the last time I ended up regretting it because I spent my whole day off working on it and I didnt think it tasted that good. I have decided that I am going to take a class on cake decorating so that I can learn the right techniques, but that is neither here nor there. Anyway we looked at a lot of places for cake designs, bakeries, etc. I have now decided that bakeries are starting to be a thing of the past. The only ones I could find in our area were in downtown Franklin and with us being in Cool Springs I didnt want to have to deal with major traffic during the day that I picked it up, plus I procrastinated and didnt order it soon enough. So, I checked out all of the places in CS that have in store bakeries and looked at their designs but nothing popped out at me. I thought that having a pull apart cupcake cake would be the best thing since there isnt much mess, no knives to worry with, etc. I ended up going to Kroger because it is very convenient to our office. I walked up to the bakery case and started thumbing through their idea book and the lady behind the counter walks up to help me. She said that she actually did the cupcake ones herself and was actually quite good at it, not meaning to brag of course! Hello, this should have been a red flag in my face! I looked at the ones she had done- a watermelon and it looked pretty good. (Note to self for future- how hard is it to do a watermelon?!) She immediately starting spouting off all kinds of ideas, so I thought this woman really knew what she was doing. Boy, was I wrong! We decided to do a baby shape with a pink diaper and a bottle. I had visions in my head, baby sleeping with a grin holding a baby rattle and thought it was going to be really sweet looking. LOL LOL LOL! I am still laughing because the expression on my face when I picked it up must have been priceless! It looked like a baby on drugs! I wont describe it any more because the picture says enough!



DRUM ROLL PLEASE................................

**Insert the sound from Psycho here....**


What cracks me up even further is that when she handed it to me she said that she was really dissapointed in its nose. HELLO!!!! The nose is the least of my worries at this point! And what is with the pink fake flower, is the baby dead?

All of the girls in the office were laughing so hard when they saw it, so we decided to put a sheet over it and unveil it as a SURPRISE at the shower. We warned Mary before hand but her face was priceless! Ha!


I am actually glad now that it turned out the way it did, because it made for a very fun time as you can imagine! If I had gotten stuck with this for anything other than the office I dont know what I would have done!!!! WARNING: If you need a "pretty" cake DO NOT go to Kroger in Cool Springs! However what was lacking in design added to the taste, it was very YUMMY!!!

12 comments:

Darby said...

That is soooo funny!!! I am sure that this was quiet stressful for you though!

Lindsey said...

wow that is hysterical! please tell me you didnt have to pay for that ha!!!

Tara said...

Umm, yes Lindsey I did! Can you believe that?

The Rue Family said...

Oh my gosh...that is too much!! I am belly laughing! But it is making me think that my mom really needs to research the baby shower cake before she orders one for my shower!! I will be laughing about this for days!! Thanks for sharing!

Heather Robinette said...

OK this tops my stories about my dad! You are right, not even warning your readers prepared me for THAT!!! I'm glad everyone got a kick out of it. Where would we be without our senses of humor?!?!?!

Nikki said...

Tara, that is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Are you sure you did not make that yourself and blame it on someone else...I am totally kidding!! Glad your friend was a good sport about it!

Anonymous said...

I would have argued about paying for it. That will be a good story for the baby to hear later... Amanda T

Casey said...

That is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time!!! The best part was when she said that she wasn't pleased with the nose!! Thanks for sharing, I needed a good laugh today!!

Kristy said...

First of all you made a gorgeous cake that tasted so good for my shower at the office. I am sorry that you spent your whole day off working on it. I will warn you though that's part of the cake business. When I started doing cakes I quickly found out that there is a lot of time involved no matter how many years you have in it. Especially with Kids! When I started doing wedding cakes a few years ago, it was fine, but now with 3 kids I have to manage my time very well. You'll love the classes they are great.

The Davis Family said...

Oh my goodness, I'm almost in tears! I have no words for the cake baby on crack.

Tabitha said...

Tara,
This is absolutely hilarious. You have me rolling. TFS!

carriehayes said...

oh my goodness Tara! thanks for a GREAT laugh this morning! that is so funny! i may just have to share this on my blog!!!