Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Old School Cafe

I wanted to take time to tell yall' about one of Spring Hill's best kept secrets (well, not to the locals). It is a meat n' three that resides inside the "old" Spring Hill High School, hence the name Old School Cafe. Brad and I found out about it after we had lived here for about a year of so from some friends and we fell in love with the wonderful array of southern delight! I wanted to post a picture so I searched online for the slim chance that I might find one somewhere. I didnt find anything, but I did see where Old School was mentioned on a guys blog who's passion in life is to find the best meat n threes in the south. He was very impressed by Old School! I also saw that Old School was portrayed on Tennessee Crossroad's. I was telling my grandparents about it and asking them if they had ever been, and they proceeded to tell me that my distant cousin actually owned the building! This school has always been a mysterious looking place to me. I am not sure what the last class for the school was, but I can remember riding by there when I was a little girl with Pawpaw on our way to his farm. I always thought it looked so spooky (probably because it was run down and vacant). It turns out that they were going to tear it down and Tim Neal saved it from destruction. I am not sure if he had a vision for its use when he bought it, but now it has a combination of retail stores, the restaurant, and a church also meets every Sunday in the gymnasium! I think it is so cool, especially since we live in the days of new strip centers being built on every corner only to leave the old behind vacant. I have always thought this was very sad, especially since my hometown of Rockwood is filled with them. Now if you are ever passing through the area ( I know slim chance...) check Old School out! The dining area is located in one of the old classrooms with decor portraying history and other classroomlike things. Brad and I even looked at an old annual from the school and low and behold the name on it was Patsy Neal (yes, another family member). If you are looking for the menu, you wont find one because the daily specials are written on the chalkboard! I think they do have a small menu if you dont want the daily specials, but you will have to ask for it. Now if it is fine dining you are after, dont come here but if you want a unique eating experience with some of the best southern food around, this is your place!

Oh, I forgot to mention they are only open for lunch on weekdays (Monday-Friday 11:00- 2:00). I know no dinner, bummer! Although for us it is a good thing or we would be there all the time! It is now our Friday daily ritual to have lunch at Old School. Connor loves it too!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pops and I were able to go there once when Brad and Tara closed on their house. It is a great experience and the food is very good. The only thing is the restaurant is so much like the classrooms in my elementary school that I kept thinking one of the old teachers would walk up behind me any minute. Not a good thought! Everyone go and enjoy it if possible. Doris (Grannie T)