Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Thursday, January 10, 2008

This Mommy's favorite things of 2007

I have been wanting to do this for some time but havent seemed to find the time to sit down and actually do it. When I read Casey's latest post today I thought it was time for me to get out there what my favorite things were for Connor this past year and that we are still using now. I would love to encourage all of you other Mommy's out there to spread the wealth of knowledge too because I know there are things that I dont know about that could probably help me as well! Some things I have found pictures for, some I havent but I will do my best to describe them and they arent in any kind of order. If it werent for many of my friends telling me about new up and coming products I wouldnt have learned about several of these things.

1. Boppy- I know that this is something that most people register for these days and everyone has heard of it, but I still wanted to share how much I have used this even until this past month. Since I am an advocate of nursing, I used this and it helped me tremendously with this. As a matter of fact I couldnt nurse without it. Even until this past month I was using at bedtime with Connor. The reason I loved it was because I could put it around my waist and sit and rock Connor without the strain on my arms. It really helped to relax me so I could concentrate more on cuddling with Mr. Connor. I have LOVED mine!








2. Bouncy Seat- This was one of my favorite things for Connor when he was newborn up until he could sit up on his own. He loved to lay in this and watch Baby Einstein and play. The key here is not to spend that much money on one because they all work basically the same. I bought one for $15 at Walmart and it did the trick just fine.3. Playtex Nursers- If you are transitioning from nursing to bottlefeeding I love these. Even if you arent they are great because you buy the drop in liners and it is great not to have to scrub out bottles after every use. One bottle for the whole day is all you need.4. Ministar soft leather shoes- You can find these in various different brand names, but these are from Target and are only $12.99! They have elastic and stay on their feet very well and are great for when they are starting to walk. Right now I have been looking for shoes that will keep Connors feet warm but are soft and flexible enough to allow him to learn how to walk. These are great!







5. Snack Trap- This one is made by Munchkin is called something else, but you can find the Snack Trap at Babies R Us and other baby boutiques. I like the Munchkin one a little better because it is clear and you and the baby can see the food inside. I found these online and Connor loves them. It took him only a couple of tries before he figured it out and it is great for minimizing the messes he makes with the Cheerios!




6. Inchbug Name Bands- I found out about these from Connors sitter. They are only available at inchbug.com and are great for the church nursery, daycare, or any other place where there might be an abundance of kids and sippy cups. I also fell in love with these because it has two lines for words so I put his name on the first and his milk allergy on the second line. They fit on bottles too!







7. Munchkin Duck Bathtub- I loved this when Connor was about 5 months up until he was about 9 months. It is great for when they grow out of the baby tub and it is soft so they dont bang their head. Plus it has a fun feature- the beak makes a quacking sound! Connor loved this! The best thing is the price- $9.99!







8. Swaddle Me- As you know we had lots of trouble getting Connor to sleep his first year and I loved this when he was too big for the swaddling blankets but still small enough to be swaddled. He loved it!

9. Kiddopatomus Bibbity Bib- I hope I spelled this right! I love this bib because it is great at catching all of those little pieces that dont make it in Connors mouth (which is most of his meal). Connor likes to rip off his bibs with velcro and this one snaps which is another plus for me. It folds up great for the diaper bag too!10. Nuby Sippy Cup with a Straw- This is the only cup that Connor will drink out of to this day. He refused to tip the cup up to drink so I found these and they work great!11. Exersaucer- Connor loved this and it worked great for those times when he wouldnt nap and I HAD to get a shower or when I was trying to clean. I would put him in there in the bathroom with me and it worked like a charm most of the time. One of the hardest ages for me since Connor was born was from about 3-6 months because he couldnt sit up yet and there are only so many things that they can do lying down without getting tired of it. This was great to help him to strengthen those legs and play without having to lay on his back.12. Leapfrog Entertainer- I dont know what this is called but it is made by leapfrog and it is by far Connor's favorite toy right now. I got last years version of this at a consignment sale for $15 and it has been so worth every penny. After Christmas Connor would play with this even with all of the new presents around. I think it is because he can stand up on his own and walk around it which is all he wants to do these days.13. Bumbo- I loved this last summer because I could take Connor outside and sit him in the Bumbo since he couldnt sit up very well on his own yet. It is soft and cushiony, just dont put it on an elevated surface (I am sure you have seen the recall). I had to quit using it myself because Connor would arch his back and I was afraid he was going to come out myself. I knew it was time to stop using it when he was strong enough to do this anyway.

14. Diaper Genie 2- I had so many people not to bother registering for this because I wouldnt use it. Well they were so wrong. I have used it since day 1 when Connor came home and still use it to this day. It is so easy to use, no twisting like the old ones. It also keeps all of the odors out very well!


15. Microwaveable Sterilizing bags- I use these when I am in a hurry and I need to clean pacifiers, bottles, sippy cups, etc. You put a little water in it and stick it in the microwave and it kills all of the bacteria with the steam. Great for traveling too!


16. Chicco Cortina Car Seat and Stroller (Travel System)- We researched everything before we registered and although this one rated pretty high, it wasnt rated the best. We talked to a lady at USA Baby and she told us about this one and said it was her favorite. Plus, I had some friends who had it also and loved it. It isnt the most expensive, but definitely not the cheapest either. Dont forget to buy another base for Daddy's car too! It makes things so much easier. I also love that they arent in gender specific colors and work for boys and girls. This way you dont have to worry about the second child getting stuck with a blue or pink stroller.

17. Baby Bargains book- When I was pregnant and seeking out the best baby things that money could buy, I didnt leave home without this book! It will tell you the best in each category or the best for your money. Then you can decide whether or not you want to spend all lot of money or not. It was made popular by (Oprah-of course!) and it rates ALL baby products and even includes maternity clothes. What I love best about this book is that it was rated by MOMS only! These Moms actually used the products and explained what they did and didnt like about each and every one! I think they come out with a new edition every year or two. You can find it at any bookstore- Barnes and Noble, Borders...

I hope these can help some of you! Please feel free to share things that have helped you too. Us Mom's have to stick together!


2 comments:

Lindsey said...

thanks tara! I will definitely take note of all of these when the time comes :)

Casey said...

Thanks Tara for all the advice on things to get!! I'm sure all these suggestions will come in very handy! Several people have suggested the stroller, so it may be a must.