Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Fair, beautiful weather, and HFMD

Well this weekend wasnt exactly what I had in mind when the weather man was talking about how nice it was going to be outside. We had plans to go to the Williamson County Fair (which we did), and go to see Granny and Pops on Saturday. Well as I said above we did venture to the fair but it wasnt a good decision on my part! I will start by going back to Thursday night when I put Connor to bed and noticed that he was pretty warm. He had been playing pretty hard, so I didnt think much about it and thought he was just hot from that. Well, my instinct told me to take his temp. but I didnt. Always listen to that motherly instinct. Connor was already asleep so I didnt want to wake him and go through all of the drama only to get a normal reading, SO I went to bed. Connor woke me up several times that night but when I went in to his room and put in his paci he went right back to sleep (yes, we are going to get rid of this thing soon!). When we woke up on Friday morning, I took it and sure enough it was 101.2! I felt awful to say the least. Connor didnt really seem to act like he felt that bad, he was a little fussy but I think that was to be expected. I gave him some Tylenol and his fever went down that afternoon and he was playing like normal so I didnt think much about it. We had already planned to take Connor to the Fair so off we went. It was a disaster to say the least! Connor cried the whole time, wouldn't ride in the stroller, and was terrified of the animals in the petting zoo. I was so disappointed. They had a "Lil Farmers" section where the kids planted seeds, grew vegetables, milked a cow (not a real one), and sold their goods to the farmers market where they got play money to buy some ice cream at the end. When we got to the end, Connor didnt even want the ice cream so I knew something was very off. We went home and thought we would see how he felt in the morning to make the final decision about whether or not to go to Rockwood. Connor was up all night crying out and needless to say neither of us got any sleep (Connor and I). Dont kid yourselves... Brad didnt even roll over the whole night. Needless to say we didnt make the trip to see Pops and Granny. Sorry Pops, we hope you had a good birthday weekend! On Saturday, Connor was pretty fussy in the morning but started playing and acted like he felt fine one minute and terrible the next. THEN... all of these bumps started to appear on the areas like his hands and feet. Connor has eczema and it flares up in the heat so I didnt think much of it either. I put his steroid cream on several times that day and the bumps turned into blisters and then they started oozing clear discharge. Gross! I knew this wasnt right and they started to appear on the bottoms of his feet and even on his mouth. FINALLY, I called the doctor on call and they tell me that it sounds like he has "Hand Foot Mouth Disease" or HFMD. Now, I had heard on this before but Brad said isnt that something that cows get. When we got home we realized that is "Foot and Mouth or Hoof and Mouth Disease" and is totally different. Fortunately this is only a virus (common in preschool age children) that has to run its course, but the bad news is that there is nothing the doctors can do to treat it. It is very painful because you get sores in your mouth which can make it hard to eat. That would explain why Connor has hardly eaten anything all weekend. Poor Baby! Today the sores got worse, but Connor seems to be feeling a little better. He is still extremely contagious, so it looks like I will be out of work for most of the week. It isnt safe for him to be exposed to anyone until the blisters have healed and it could last for 7-10 days. I am hoping for a better nights sleep tonight! He has been in bed for an hour and hasnt woken up yet, this is a good sign! I guess I had better get in the sack in case it is another long night. Ta Ta...


Our only attempt at a picture at the Fair. Hopefully no one touched this milk carton after we sold it at the Farmers Market. Connor was infected with "the disease" but we didnt know then! Oops!


Connor sitting down for his lunch on Saturday on his new Pooh table that Howard and Mary got him. He has finally grown into it. Thanks you all, Connor loves it!


Pointing to Pooh.


"The Disease" has set in.

His feet actually look pretty good in these pictures. They have gotten worse since.

They are even on his sweet lips too!

Connor is never too sick to play a good ole game of PEEK...

A...

BOO!!!

4 comments:

Tabitha said...

Poor Connor! That looks so painful. I hope he gets better soon.

Rachel@AllergenFreePlease said...

Oh Tara, I am SO sorry. Poor Connor! I hope he feels better. Not fun :(

Betty said...

That makes me so sad. We will miss his "twirling dance show" at Ms.Betty's. I hope that everyone...especially Mommy gets some peaceful sleep soon,too. Oh...the joys of being a mom! Who needs sleep anyways???!!!!

Jeremy and Lacy said...

Bless his heart...and yours too! I hope he gets over it quickly!