Thatcher's Story

Thatcher's Story
I didn't want this to get lost in my list of posts, so I am creating a place so that everyone can easily access this link. Please read this touching story about baby Thatcher, our friends son who was born with a rare liver disease and is in need of a liver transplant. Jessie has worked closely with Brad for over 4 years and I became friends with her while working at WSA until I left last spring. Thatcher was born a month before Braden and this story really hits home for me. When I look at Braden I think about how incredibly lucky I am. This could just as easily be our him going through this. Jessie will most likely be the living donor for Thatcher and they are in need of our prayers! I promise you will be touched by reading this story. Thanks!

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Quarantined

This is what we have been since Saturday...quarantined. We are learning to live with HFMD around here and it is getting much easier for Connor, but a little harder for me. Connor is doing GREAT! His blisters are almost gone, just a few that I am watching before I feel like he can be in civilization again. Now that I have the virus, I can see why Connor was so fussy last weekend. It is pretty painful. I think I have a much milder case than C, so it is even harder for me to describe how it probably felt for him. The best I can describe it is like having strep throat and the chicken pox at the same time. Your throat feels awful the first three days. First it is sore, then the blisters appear and it is hard to eat ANYTHING! I have been eating lots of ice, icecream (this is the plus side of having the virus), and pasta. Anything crunchy, salty or acidic (like orange juice) feels like your throat is burning literally. I always wake up and get a glass of OJ, and the past two mornings I forgot about the burning and OUCH! That will wake you up at 7:30! After visiting the pantry multiple times yesterday, I finally broke down and had a bowl of good ole' macaroni and cheese! It was yummy! Today after making first outing since Monday, I returned a movie and went to the Starbucks drive thru. A Mocha Frapacchino was calling my name. I drove up to the window and ordered and he asked me what size. I thought, I'll go large today. A venti it is! (for those of you non-Starbucks drinkers that is a large) He said "that will be $4.92, drive to the window". Ummm, excuse me"what did he just say"? $5 for a coffee???? Holy Cow! How in the world do people afford this? I mean, maybe all of the other people lined up at the drive thru were doing the same thing. Indulging in a costly treat for a special occasion. I was feeling bad about my indulgence when I thought back to something my Mom said once. I think someone was giving her a hard time about something and she said, "I dont smoke, I dont drink, and I dont get nails done like most women do, so if I want to spend a little extra money doing (whatever the discussion was about), then I will." This made me feel better. After all.. I am coping with a "disease". LOL My throat was on fire, so I will have to say it was worth every single penny! It was my special treat for the day!
Anyway...sorry I got a little off track, I am on the mend. I ran a fever on Tuesday night and woke up drenched. After that went away, I felt better until the bumps came and now it feels like tiny needles sticking in my feet and hands. It is pretty uncomfortable, but tolerable. It is just aggravating really. I was trying to explain it to Brad that it feels like I am stepping on one of those things we had when we were kids (you know the box where the needles would make an impression with your hand print). I feel like that every time I walk, or grasp something. I felt better after talking (actually yelling across the lawn for fear that I might spread my germs) to my neighbor. She said her daughter had it twice when she was little (this part didnt make me feel better!) and she got it once. She said her hands and feet felt prickly for about 2 days and it went away, much milder than her daughters case. I hope it is that way for me. I am starting to get stir crazy around here! Although I must admit the time that I am really enjoying spending the time with Connor right now. It is so precious to me! He is such a complete joy to be around right now! He is repeating everything I say and has learned a lot this week. He will come up and just kiss me or hug me for no reason AND he has started saying thank you. It cant get much better than that! I will admit, that yesterday I was feeling pretty sorry for myself but today God has shown me to be grateful for this time he has given me. I have been so paranoid that these bumps are going to turn into huge blisters and be noticeable on my feet/hands for our vacation. Girls, you can sympathize I am sure. I mean, it is still flip flop weather! This might be the case, but when I think about how much worse it could be, I am thankful. At least it isnt malaria or AIDs that the people in Africa face everyday. My virus will go away. So, I am choosing to look at this as a reminder of how lucky I am! I have a Lord that love me beyond bounds, a wonderful husband, son, and a wonderful family. What could be greater!

2 comments:

Jeremy and Lacy said...

Look at you...you have such a great attitude. I don't know that I could do that! Good for you to enjoy Connor during this time and know that it will pass. I've been praying that it will pass quickly and that you will be able to wear your cute flip flops on va-kay...afterall that is very important to a gal!

Nikki said...

So glad you had a better day and good for you for having a little treat. It sounds like Connor is at such a cute stage. I love that about the hugs and repeating you.